Cooked to perfection, grilled zucchini and squash make for an easy, delicious and healthy side dish for summer meals.
Grilling month has come to an end, and it’s been so much fun!
I hope you’re feeling ready to rock your grill this summer! I’ve got one more recipe for you…
Grilled Zucchini and Squash recipe
Every main dish needs a good side, right? This grilled zucchini and squash recipe is just that!
You won’t believe how easy it is to cook squash and zucchini on the grill.
Essential grilling tools
Honestly, you don’t need much to grill. A good pair of tongs and a grill that works is a great start.
However, if you’re willing to invest in a few grilling tools, you’ll be a grillmaster in no time. Here’s what I recommend:
- Non-stick spray: My favorite is Weber Grill Spray. I’ve found it is the perfect spray to coat the grates, making the grill easy to clean later.
- A meat thermometer: I love this simple handheld meat thermometer, but I’ve been lusting after this wireless, Bluetooth thermometers for a while.
- A grill brush: To clean off your grill, use a good-quality grill brush.
- Utensils: Use a pair of tongs and a turner to flip anything you cook, from burgers to chicken wings to corn on the cob.
- Grill basket: A metal basket is great for kebabs, veggies like carrots or cut squash and zucchini or even smaller cuts of meat. If it could fall through the grates, use a basket.
Here’s what you will need to add to your shopping list to pick up at the grocery store:
- yellow squash
- olive oil
That’s it! This is a super simple recipe that is so full of flavor.
How to grill squash and zucchini
Grilling zucchini and squash is easier than you’d think. Here’s what to do:
- Heat up your grill. Clean off the grates while the grill is hot with a grill brush.
- Cut the squash and zucchini into quarters and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is hot, place the veggies on the grill.
- If you’re cooking meat at the same time, you may wish to place the zucchini and squash on the edges so they can cook while your meat does.
- Flipping occasionally to cook on all sides, cook until softened and charred.
Tips for success
Clean off your grill grates with a grill brush while the grill is hot. Then use grill spray or half an onion to grease the grates and keep the veggies from sticking.
Make sure you use medium heat if you are cooking only the veggies. If you are cooking meat as well, cook the veggies on the edges of the grill away from the main source of the heat. This will use indirect heat to cook the veggies, but it will take a little longer.
What to eat with grilled squash and zucchini
These grilled veggies can be a side dish for so many dishes.
Serve them on the side of just about any meat or seafood dish. We like them with grilled chicken thighs for an easy weeknight dinner.
They make a great main dish for vegetarians as well. Cut the veggies and serve them over rice for a healthy dinner in a bowl.
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I’d love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut off the ends of the squash and zucchini, then quarter them into spears.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on medium heat for 3 minutes on a non-skin side, then flip to the other non-skin side and grill for another 3 minutes
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g