This fruit and yogurt smoothie is a perfect way to start your morning with a healthy breakfast. This makes a great post workout shake when you add protein powder to it or a fun toddler smoothie that you can feel good about serving to your family.
Learning to make smoothies at home was a game changer for me. Really, they are so simple! The most difficult part is the order of your ingredients.
Once you master the simple technique for making smoothies at home, you’ll be making them with all kinds of different combinations. Some of our other favorite smoothies with yogurt recipes are blueberry greek yogurt smoothie and chocolate strawberry smoothie.
How to make the best greek yogurt smoothies:
- Start with the solid or frozen ingredients on the bottom and add your liquids on the top. This will help everything blend consistently!
- If your blender doesn’t seem to be blending easily, you need to add a splash more of almond milk at at time until it begins blending smoothly.
- If you’re using fresh fruit versus frozen, you’ll need less liquid to make a thick and creamy fruit smoothie.
Once you get comfortable making smoothies, you’ll be able to create your own fun combinations depending on what kind of fruit, juice and yogurt combinations you have available.
Another favorite of ours is this fruit and kale toddler smoothie!
How do you add more protein to smoothies?
This is one of the reasons I love adding greek yogurt to my fruit smoothies. Greek yogurt smoothies are filling because they’re packed with protein from the yogurt.
You can also add a plain protein powder or a flavored one (my husband loves adding this peanut butter chocolate protein powder) to this smoothie in addition to greek yogurt.
What kind of blender do you need to make a smoothie?
If you want to make a large smoothie or smoothie for two servings, I recommend something like this blender.
If you want to make an individual smoothie for on the go, the Magic Bullet is great. You’ll want to half this recipe for an individual serving size!
How to Make a Smoothie with Greek Yogurt
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Add ingredients to blender, starting with any frozen fruit or ice, then adding the yogurt and finally the milk on top.
- Blend until fruit is completely blended.
- If the smoothie is too thin, add ice or more yogurt to thicken it up.
- If the smoothie is too thick, add greek yogurt to make the smoothie thinner.
- Drink immediately or store in a glass mason jar until you’re ready to drink it.
What kind of yogurt should you use in smoothies?
You should use plain greek yogurt that has more grams of protein than sugar.
Using plain greek yogurt gives you the good fat content you want from yogurt, but without added sugar. Because you are blending the yogurt with fruit, there really is no need for additional sugar. It will be sweet enough just with fruit.
Plain Chobani yogurt is one of our favorites to add to smoothies!
What ingredients do you need for a fruit smoothie?
The best part about smoothies is you really can use whatever you have on hand. But the types of ingredients that should be used are first, frozen fruit like strawberries, bananas, mango, pineapple, and you can also throw in frozen veggies too to make a green smoothie. Second, your liquids, like plain greek yogurt and milk or juice if you’re using frozen fruit to help it blend.
Should I use frozen or fresh fruits for smoothies?
Either will work! If you’re using fresh fruit, you may need to add ice to help the smoothie be the right consistency.
How do you make smoothies ahead of time?
There are two ways to do make smoothies ahead of time. One is to make them the night before and store them overnight for the morning.
The other is you can prep them ahead of time by adding all of the fruit/veggies into a muffin tin and freezing them. Then you can remove the ingredient “muffins” from the tin and put them in Ziploc bags to store. Take out one or two at a time, add your liquid and blend them up!
How do you make smoothies thicker?
Thick smoothies always start with frozen fruit which keeps water content down. If you find your smoothie still isn’t as thick and creamy as you’d like, the two best ways you can thicken smoothies is either by adding ice or to add more yogurt!
How do you make a smoothie thinner?
If your smoothie gets too thick, you can easily thin it out by adding more liquid, whether that is milk or juice!
What tools do you need to make a smoothie?
Make it a meal with these recipes:
Our favorite Greek Yogurt Smoothies:
- Chocolate Strawberry Greek Yogurt Smoothie
- Blueberry Greek Yogurt Smoothie
- Kale Fruit Smoothie
- Caramel Apple Smoothie
- 40 Greek Yogurt Smoothies
This greek yogurt smoothie recipe made with strawberries, bananas, greek yogurt and almond milk is the perfect way to start your morning! This classic fruit combination goes perfectly with creamy greek yogurt in a smoothie!
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Add all ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- If too thick, add extra almond milk. If too thin, add in yogurt or ice.
To make smoothie thinner, add ice or more yogurt to thicken it up.
To make smoothie thicker, add greek yogurt to make the smoothie thinner.