If you're looking for an easy, healthy summer side dish, look no further than grilled zucchini. It can be on the table in under 15 minutes and it goes with so many dishes.
Grilled Zucchini Recipe
All summer, I have been having so much fun with grilling at our new house. My kids love to play in the pool and I can grill dinner and keep an eye on them.
Once I have decided on a good main dish, figuring out the side dishes is always the hardest part for me.
My friend grows zucchini in her garden and always shares some with me, and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it. (There's only so much zucchini bread one can take!)
Enter this grilled zucchini. It's an easy, healthy dish you can serve alongside just about anything.
Why you'll love this recipe
Once you know how to grill, you can grill anything, even vegetables like zucchini. Here's why I think you'll love this recipe.
- Zucchini is full of nutrients to help you round out your meal.
- This dish doesn't require any fancy seasonings or sauces.
- It can be cooked in less than 10 minutes on the grill.
Here’s what you will need to add to your shopping list to pick up at the grocery store:
- olive oil (or avocado oil)
That’s it! This is a super simple recipe that is so full of flavor.
I recommend using sea salt or kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper for the most flavor.
If you like, you can also make grilled squash and zucchini at the same time. Just prepare the squash in the same way as the zucchini and cook them together in the grill basket.
How to season grilled zucchini
To season zucchini for grilling, here's what to do:
First, cut your zucchini. You can do either quarters lengthwise (pictured) or slices/circles.
Place the cut zucchini in a large bowl or on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
Then toss to combine and make sure all the pieces are coated in the seasoning.
Essential grilling tools
Truthfully, you don’t need more than a good pair of tongs and a grill that works. Whether it’s charcoal, pellet or gas is up to you.
However, if you’re willing to invest in a few tools, you’re setting yourself up for grilling success. Here’s what I recommend:
- No-stick spray: Weber Grill Spray is the perfect spray to coat the grates and makes it easy to clean.
- A grill brush: A good-quality grill brush will help you clean off any burnt-on residue without scratching the grates.
- Utensils: A great pair of tongs and a turner will go a long way in helping you flip anything you cook, from burgers and chicken wings to zucchini and corn on the cob.
- Grill basket: Use a metal basket for kebabs, veggies like carrots or cut squash and zucchini or small cuts of meat that might fall through the grill grates.
How to make grilled zucchini
Here's how to make zucchini on the grill:
- Heat up your grill. Clean off the grates while the grill is hot with a grill brush.
- Cut the zucchini into quarters, lengthwise. (You can also do slices if you prefer, but you'll need to use a grill basket.)
- Season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once the grill is hot, place the zucchini on the grill.
- If you’re cooking meat at the same time, you may wish to place the zucchini on the edges so it can cook while your meat does.
- Flipping occasionally to cook on all sides, cook until softened and charred.
Tips For Success
Clean off your grill grates with a grill brush while the grill is hot. Then use grill spray or half an onion to grease the grates and keep the veggies from sticking.
Make sure you use medium heat if you are cooking only the zucchini and no other dishes.
If you are cooking meat as well, cook the veggies on the edges of the grill away from the main source of the heat. This will use indirect heat to cook the zucchini, but it will take a little longer.
How long should zucchini be grilled?
Zucchini, cut into quarters lengthwise, takes about 10 minutes on the grill.
You can also dice it into large pieces or slice it, but you'll need to place these in a grill basket so they don't slip through the grates and burn. Smaller pieces will cook faster, about 7-8 minutes in the grill basket.
What to serve with grilled zucchini
Grilled zucchini goes with so many things!
Add it to this tomato zucchini risotto, one of my favorite date night meals.
Carve the zucchini into "boats" to make zucchini taco boats.
- 4 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini, then quarter lengthwise into spears.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on medium heat for 3 minutes on a non-skin side, then flip to the other non-skin side and grill for another 3 minutes
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
You can make this recipe with half yellow squash and half zucchini.
Use kosher salt or sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper for the most flavor.
Avocado oil can be substituted for the olive oil.
Make sure to clean the grill grates and spray with grill spray before grilling. You can also rub half an onion or potato, cut side down, on the grates to grease them. This will prevent the veggies from sticking to the hot grates.
For smaller cuts of zucchini, use a grill basket.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g