Make one of these side dishes for a grilled shrimp dinner. These scrumptious salads and sides make for hearty companions.
What to serve with grilled shrimp
My family enjoys them often in the summer for weeknight meals, or even weekend ones. Shrimp is an easy, quick-cooking protein with lots of nutrients, and you can dress it up or down depending on the occasion.
From tacos to pasta, there are so many ways to enjoy this treasure from the sea. One of my favorite ways is to marinate shrimp and then grill it — the hot grill pulls out so much flavor from both the shrimps and the marinade.
Dishes that go well with shrimp
Scroll down for a list of 20+ side dish recipes to enjoy with shrimp, but here are a few things about shrimp to keep in mind:
- Shrimp is a common protein in dishes of cuisines around the world, from African recipes, Asian food and European dishes to American (especially Southern) cuisine as well as Latin and South American dishes.
- It pairs well with fresh veggies, on salads or as a side dish. And fruits too, such as coconut and pineapple in tropical dishes.
- Grains are another great pairing for shrimp. Try rice, barley, quinoa, corn (grits), couscous, risotto and pasta.
- Shrimp also works well with breads, like tortillas or wraps. It works well in tacos, burritos and sandwiches like po-boys.
Once you figure out what to serve with grilled shrimp, you will have tons of recipe ideas to come back to every time you make it.
Sauces for grilled shrimp
Shrimp pairs well with all kinds of sauces and dressings. These would be perfect for all kinds of salads, pasta or grain bowls, tacos and wraps.
- Tomato-based cocktail sauce is a classic dipper for shrimp, and works with main dishes as well as appetizers.
- Apricot sweet & sour sauce is perfect for Asian-inspired dishes.
- A creamy tartar sauce is another must-have for all kinds of seafood dishes.
- Try a cilantro sauce for Tex-Mex meals like burritos tacos and wraps.
- In New Orleans, remoulade sauce is commonly used on po-boys. This one is often served on crabcakes or shrimpcakes.
- A homemade enchilada sauce will work well if you want to make shrimp enchiladas.
- Mix shrimp with pasta and homemade basil pesto (or kale pesto) for a tasty Italian dish.
- This Yum Yum Sauce is just like a restaurant's and ready in only 3 minutes! It is a perfect side accompaniment for grilled shrimp.
And now, let's get into some ideas for what to serve with grilled shrimp! I carefully curated these side dishes for shrimp from my own website and others on the web to bring you a variety of different veggies, cuisines and cooking methods.