I made a batch of my brother’s recipe for easy tofu lettuce wraps. Whether you’re a meat lover, vegetarian or vegan, this is a recipe you’ll love, I promise!
I’ve always loved lettuce wraps from PF Changs. Even before I liked lettuce (yes, there was a time…), I still liked lettuce wraps. When my brother came to live with us this summer, he had already been a vegetarian for over a year. He and my dad decided to try their hand at a vegan diet for a few month. During that time, my brother made us these tofu lettuce wraps.
Tofu can be a bit tricky to make well which is why a lot of people don’t ever develop a taste for it. And to be honest, it doesn’t have much of a taste to begin with, so seasoning is absolutely necessary! After learning to make these tofu lettuce wraps, I’m confident that I could enjoy tofu on a much more regular basis.
The trick to this tofu dish is the way the tofu is prepared. Tofu comes in a big block that is usually soaking in some water within the packaging. The trick is to remove a lot of that excess water by placing the tofu under a paper towel and placing something heavy on top to squish out as much water as possible.
Then the next trick is how to cook it. A lot of the time tofu is cooked in larger pieces, but this recipe uses the tofu in as small of pieces as you can get it. Once those tiny pieces are fried up, they might as well be chicken 😉
Lettuce wraps typically are thought of as an appetizer, but if you serve these easy tofu lettuce wraps with a salad and some brown rice, you have a full meal right there. Next week I’ll be sharing the recipe for the crispy vegetable roll salad that pairs perfectly with these lettuce wraps!
Have you ever cooked with tofu?
Pin for later:
- 16 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 head of lettuce
- 2 T. teriyaki sauce
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 t. rice wine vinegar
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 1 t. cornstarch
- 1 T. Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, garnish, optional
- Shredded carrots, garnish, optional
- Cut tofu in half lengthwise, then cut ¼" thick slices
- Lay flat cutting board, place two paper towels on top of slices and place a heavy object on top
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes absorbing liquid
- Discard paper towels
- Add tofu to frying pan with a little cooking oil on medium heat
- Using a fork, break tofu into tiny pieces as it cooks
- Cook until tofu begins to brown
- Add remaining sauces/vinegars and spices to pan and stir to combine
- Break apart head of lettuce and rip lettuce pieces in half if they are too large
- Spoon tofu onto lettuce wrap, sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or carrots if desired
- Serve immediately
Make sure to remove excess liquid from tofu before cooking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g