Ready for pizza night to be next level tasty? This pizza seasoning changes the game when it comes to pizza! The perfect blend of spices and herbs come together to make the tastiest creation.
Pizza Seasoning Recipe
Ever wondered why that takeout pizza you buy from your favorite pizza place has a "certain something" that makes it taste incredible? They likely used pizza seasoning!
Just like tacos, grilled chicken and hamburgers all have the perfect seasoning, pizza needs some seasoning too. This homemade seasoning blend brings out the savory flavors of pizza and makes it taste even more incredible.
You can take homemade pizza, frozen pizza and even store-bought pizza, to the next level simply by adding a little seasoning. Pizza seasoning truly changes the pizza game!
When I first began making homemade pizza, I didn't use a seasoning blend like this. But once I started using it, man, it changed the results for the better. Everything got exponentially tastier!
I love adding some spices before baking and then melted butter and pizza seasoning to the edges of the golden brown crust after baking. It's a savory final touch that really makes our homemade pizza so much better! The seasoning is important, but what is a pizza without toppings?
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You'll love this recipe, for a few reasons:
- This quick and easy recipe makes an end product with a long shelf life. Throw it together and store it in a spice bottle until needed.
- Store-bought seasonings often have preservatives and anti-caking agents added to them. Making your own pizza seasoning ensures you have only the best and most fresh ingredients!
- Pizza seasoning is multi-use and multi-functional. Spice blends like these can be used in so many incredible recipes.
- It makes for a great and simple housewarming gift!
Pizza Seasoning vs Italian Seasoning
While the two are quite similar, pizza seasoning and Italian seasoning do have a few differences.
Italian seasoning is often just a blend of traditional Italian herbs. Pizza seasoning typically often adds additional ingredients like garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, and fennel seeds.
However, you can use pizzas seasoning blend in place of Italian seasoning and vice versa!
These are the main ingredients you will need to make the perfect pizza seasoning. Check your spice cabinet, and then make a list of what you are missing:
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
- dried parsley
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- black pepper
Substitutions and Variations
Follow the instructions for the perfect balance in this pizza spice mix. However, after you've tried it, feel free to adjust the levels of certain ingredients to fit your flavor preferences. Add more or less of each ingredient if you want to have the flavor of a certain herb or seasoning come through more.
Thyme is a very strong herb, and many don't like it. If you prefer, you can omit this ingredient and any other ingredients that you don't like. You can make a salt-free blend by just leaving out the salt.
Fennel seed would also be a tasty addition. Or, make spicy homemade pizza seasoning by adding red pepper flakes to this recipe.
Add some dried lemon zest or dried orange zest to give this seasoning a brighter flavor. This would also taste great on Hawaiian pizza!
Parmesan cheese can turn this into an all-in-one pizza seasoning. Just keep in mind that cheese may turn this into something that is no longer shelf stable and will need to be stored in the refrigerator.
How to Make Pizza Seasoning
Combine each of the spices in a small bowl: oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
Stir the combination of herbs well, until evenly mixed and well distributed throughout.
Use immediately, or you can also store in a spice jar or airtight container.
How to Store Pizza Seasoning
Just like other dried herbs, this blend needs to be stored in a cool, dry place. You can place it into an airtight container, like a mason jar or other glass jar, and store in the spice cabinet until it is needed!
Great to have it ready to go whenever pizza is on the dinner menu.
Uses for Pizza Seasoning
Of course, this little seasoning blend needs to be used on pizza. But it has tons of other uses too!
Revolutionize your pizza casserole by mixing in this spice blend or sprinkling it over the top. You can use this seasoning on your pasta dishes too! This tasty little blend can even be sprinkled over hot french fries or a marinara dipping sauce!
Really, any Italian cuisine would benefit from this savory blend of herbs and spices. It is a versatile blend that will go well on so many different dishes and creations!
Tips for Success
Here are some tips and tricks for making this recipe:
- Put a food grade oxygen absorber in the spice jar that contains the finished herb and spice blend. This will help keep it from clumping and extend the shelf life.
- Make sure you are working with a completely dry bowl and dry mixing tools in order to keep the ingredients from clumping together when mixed.
- While this recipe makes plenty of seasoning for multiple pizzas, feel free to double or triple it to have a stock of this blend in your spice rack and ready to go.
The key to making a homemade pizza taste amazing is using fresh ingredients. Make pizza crust from scratch and then make fresh pizza sauce too! Then top everything with this tasty little seasoning blend. Baking the pizza in the smoker or grill will also add a brick-oven like taste to your final product.
Olive oil and salt are really all you need to add to unbaked pizza dough. Pizza seasoning can be added to the toppings and also to the crispy baked edges of a fresh pizza.
More Spice and Marinade Recipes
- Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Homemade Burger Seasoning
- Chicken Fajita Marinade
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I'd love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices: oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir well to ensure the spices are evenly mixed together.
- Store in an airtight container or jar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 teaspoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 6Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g