If you love turkey burgers, then these chicken burgers are going to be your new favorite! The whole family will rave over these healthy burgers made with simple ingredients.
Grilled Chicken Burgers Recipe
Juicy burgers are a staple of any cook-out, so I love having a healthier option that I can throw on the grill. These easy chicken burger patties are so flavorful, you won't even miss the classic burgers made from beef!
Lean ground chicken has far less calories than beef, and the fat content is lower too. It's a great way to watch your caloric intake, while still changing things up from the typical go-to healthy option of a turkey burger.
Sticking to healthy eating doesn't mean you have to miss out on a tasty burger! These thick patties are juicy and tender, and will pair perfectly with all of your favorite toppings.
Grilled chicken patties are gluten-free too! So, grab some gluten-free hamburger buns and you have the perfect meal to chow down on without all of the gluten.
You're going to love these grilled chicken burgers!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Make a dozen homemade chicken burgers in just 30 minutes! This chicken burger recipe is perfect for parties.
- If you are hosting guests with a gluten allergy or those who are counting calories, these chicken burgers are the perfect meal to serve.
- You can easily adapt this recipe to change the flavor of the patties and fit your preferences.
Here is what you'll need to make these easy and delicious chicken burgers:
- ground chicken
- almond flour
- black pepper
- minced garlic
- Dijon mustard
You'll also want to stock up on toppings. I recommend gouda, tomato, red onion and lettuce, but you can do as you please!
Substitutions and Variations
Swap out the almond flour for a gluten-free 1:1 flour substitute, such as King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour, or coconut flour, cassava flour, or any other flour you'd like.
You can use spicy brown mustard or regular mustard in place of the Dijon mustard if you prefer.
Give the chicken mixture a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce or liquid smoked to add more flavor.
Add some spicy kick to this recipe with a dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper.
Turn this recipe into BBQ chicken burgers by adding some BBQ chicken rub to the ground chicken mixture.
How to Make Chicken Burgers
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, about 350°F. You can use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the temperature of your grill.
Be sure to clean the grill grates off with a grill brush while they're warm.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, almond flour, egg, salt, pepper and dijon mustard until thoroughly mixed together.
Form baseball-sized balls and then flatten them out into even circular patties.
Cook patties on the grill for 8-10 minutes per side.
Hot Tip: Do not flip the patties until they are halfway cooked through, or they may fall apart as you flip them!
Cook the second side of the chicken burger patties until each one reaches an internal temperature of 165° Fahrenheit.
Place onto a bun and top with your favorite toppings!
Essential grilling tools
Truthfully, you don’t need more than a good pair of tongs and a grill that works. Whether it’s charcoal, pellet or gas is up to you.
However, if you’re willing to invest in a few tools, you’re setting yourself up for grilling success. Here’s what I recommend:
- No-stick spray: Weber Grill Spray is the perfect spray to coat the grates and makes it easy to clean.
- A meat thermometer: Any meat thermometer will work. We have a simple handheld meat thermometer, but I’ve been eyeing the wireless, Bluetooth thermometers.
- A grill brush: A good-quality grill brush will help you clean off any burnt-on residue without scratching the grates.
- Kitchen shears: I don’t go a day in my kitchen without using my kitchen scissors, and that goes for grilling too. They are handy for snipping off fatty parts of meat.
- Utensils: A great pair of tongs and a turner will go a long way in helping you flip anything you cook, from burgers to chicken wings to corn on the cob.
- Grill basket: Use a metal basket for kebabs, veggies like carrots or cut squash or small cuts of meat that might fall through the grill grates.
Serve juicy chicken burgers on a brioche buns, gluten-free bun, or any of your other favorite hamburger buns. You can also serve it on a lettuce wrap for an even healthier option!
These delicious ground chicken burgers taste great with slices of red onion or yellow onion, sliced tomato, lettuce, and sliced cheese. Other toppings like pickles, avocado slices, a fried egg and bacon would be yummy too!
Make a spin-off with these patties and make buffalo chicken burgers by adding buffalo sauce and cheese.
Don't forget all the good condiments for your flavorful chicken burger. Mayo, mustard, ketchup, burger sauce, spicy mayo, or any of your other favorites.
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Burgers
French fries and potato chips are the classic sides to go with perfect chicken burgers, but there's so many other things you can serve too!
These rosemary potatoes would pair well, or maybe even make some roasted broccoli to keep this meal super healthy. Keep things on the grill by making grilled zucchini and squash.
Homemade broccoli mac and cheese is always a hit at cook-outs. If you need a few more healthy options, you could make a strawberry vinaigrette salad or spinach salad.
Round out your meal with a summery dessert like fresh peach cobbler.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Burgers
Place leftover patties into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze leftover patties for up to 2 months!
Thaw before reheating frozen patties. Place chicken burgers in the microwave, oven, or stove-top and reheat until warmed through.
Tips for Success
- Push down the center of each patty to help keep the patties flat while they cook through.
- When you flip your burgers to the other side, place a slice of cheese on so that it gets all gooey and melty!
- Grease the grill with grill spray, or cut an onion in half and rub it across the grill grates to naturally grease it.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, or poke the patties and see if juices run clear. If they are still tinted pink or red, your chicken burger patties likely need to cook a little longer.
If you don't have an outdoor grill, you can make these burgers in a large skillet. Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side, just like you would on the grill.
More Chicken Recipes
Grilled Chicken Burgers
You only need 30 minutes to make this healthy burger option for your summer cookouts!
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- hamburger buns
- toppings such as gouda, lettuce, tomato, red onion
- condiments such as mayo, ketchup, mustard or burger sauce
- Preheat grill to 350ºF or medium-high heat. Use a grill brush to clean off the grates while they are warm.
- Mix together ground chicken, almond flour, salt, pepper, minced garlic, egg, dijon mustard.
- Form baseball-sized balls, then flatten them into a patty shape.
- Place onto preheated grill and cook for about 8-10 minutes per side. Do not flip until you can see the patties are halfway cooked through, or your patties may fall apart.
- Cook on the other side until burgers are cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings
Grease the grill with grill spray, or cut an onion in half and rub it across the grill grates to grease it naturally.
Push down the center of each patty with your grill spatula to help keep the patties flat while they cook through. Do not flip the patties until they are halfway cooked through, or they may fall apart as you flip them.
When you flip your burgers to the other side, place a slice of cheese on so that it gets all gooey and melty!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 burger patty
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g
Leave a Reply