Fruit Salad with Whipped Cream is the perfect side dish or dessert! It’s made with grapes, bananas and apples and homemade whipped cream, sweetened with a bit of honey, so this dish is perfect for the whole family. Serve with your holiday dinners or as a part of your regular weeknight dinner menu.
Every holiday season there is one dish that I look forward to most: Fruit Salad with Whipped Cream.
I’m not sure where the tradition in our family came from, but fruit salad has always been my favorite part of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
No matter how much turkey, sausage stuffing and mashed potatoes I eat, there is always room for fruit salad on my plate.
Recipe for Fruit Salad with Whipped Cream
I actually usually have a separate bowl for it because I don’t mess around with having enough room for this fruit salad on my plate.
Each year we have this, I’m reminded of how simple it is but it is a core part of my Thanksgiving traditions and memories.
Cool Whip Fruit Salad
Growing up, we always had Cool Whip Fruit Salad for the holidays.
But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned to love making things homemade and homemade whipped cream has become a homemade staple in our house.
However, you can definitely make this fruit salad with Cool Whip instead of homemade whipped cream.
A few years ago, I wanted to make a version of this creamy fruit salad that was refined sugar-free so I decided to give it a try making my own honey-sweetened whipped cream.
Do whatever is easiest for your family, whether that’s using Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream for this salad.
One of the best parts about this creamy fruit salad is it’s a very low-maintenance side dish.
When you’re making a bunch of recipes for a brunch or holiday dinner, low-maintenance recipes are necessary!
This dish can be the last thing you make, while the turkey is resting or being carved because it’s that quick to make!
For the non-holiday times, this is the perfect side dish for so many different family dinners and can be the perfect way to use up any ripe fruit.
What fruit do you need for Fruit Salad with Whipped Cream?
We love using apples, grapes and bananas as the base for this fruit salad.
If you want to use other kinds of fruit in your version, feel free. I put together a list of all the fruits you can use in fruit salad and how to prepare them. The combinations are endless!
Check out my Creamy Christmas Fruit Salad for a twist on this recipe with red and green fruits (that is perfect any time of year!)
You also might love my Thanksgiving fruit salad, which you can make with or without cinnamon whipped cream.
If you’re looking for a dairy-free fruit salad, you could make your own coconut whipped cream or make this Fresh Fruit Salad with Orange Juice Dressing.
What are some other toppings you can add to Creamy Fruit Salad?
Sky’s the limit on what you can include. If it sounds good, give it a shot!
In the past, we’ve experimented with:
- mini marshmallows
- chopped dates
- nuts like pecans or walnuts
- strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries
- green apples
What else can you serve with this Fruit Salad with Whipped Cream?
If you’re making this whipped cream fruit salad for the holidays, you can serve it with:
- Stovetop Sausage Stuffing
- Garlic Brown Butter Green Beans
- Rosemary Goat Cheese Drop Biscuits
- Shredded Cheesy Potatoes
What tools do you need for this whipped cream fruit salad recipe?
- A cutting board and sharp knife for cutting the fruit up.
- If you’re making homemade whipped cream, you’ll need either a stand mixer or a hand mixer (we have this one).
- You’ll also need a mixing bowl to combine the ingredients as well as a serving bowl, because your mixing bowl will get a bit messy while tossing the salad!
Ready to tackle your own batch of this fruit salad with whipped cream?
- 3 apples, cores removed and chopped into chunks
- 2 bananas, sliced into 1 inch thick pieces
- 1 cup of grapes, sliced horizontally
- ½ cup of pitted dates, diced (optional)
Homemade Honey Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Peel and chop fruit and dates and set them aside in a large mixing bowl. (Note: NOT your serving bowl.)
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, whip whipping cream on high speed until peaks begin to form.
- Once the cream is whipped, add in honey and mix for another minute. Taste test and add more honey if you prefer it to be sweeter.
- Add whipped cream to your fruit and stir to coat fruit.
- Then transfer to a serving bowl. Refrigerate if not serving right away.
You can substitute Cool Whip for homemade whipped cream if desired.
You can substitute maple syrup or sugar for honey in this recipe if desired.
Homemade Whipped Cream can be made ahead of time, but may separate a bit. It's helpful to re-whip right before tossing over your fruit salad (even if just with a hand whisk or fork).
This salad tastes even better the next day!
Nutrition information is for homemade whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: ½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g