These roasted breakfast potatoes are the perfect addition to a Sunday brunch! They're so easy to make and have the most delicious bacon and onion flavors.
Roasted Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
Breakfast is my jam, y'all. Ironically, I don't eat eggs, but I could still eat breakfast all day every day.
On Saturday and Sunday mornings, we get to enjoy the slower moments and make a delicious breakfast. Those are the mornings that I live for!
I used to think that you had to go out to a favorite breakfast place to have gourmet breakfast food. However, I'm realizing more and more how easy it is to make some of my favorite restaurant style breakfast dishes at home.
My ideal breakfast is gourmet French toast topped with fresh fruit and a side of breakfast potatoes. I'm usually a hashbrown kind of girl, but after making this recipe, I may never look at a regular old side of hashbrowns the same.
These basic potatoes are so easy and could easily be used as a brunch or dinner side dish. The most fabulous part of this breakfast potato recipe is probably the fact that there's bacon drippings in it.
Yep, no shame. If you'd like you can either eat the bacon slices separately or chop into pieces and toss with potatoes after they're cooked.
These hearty potatoes are the best side dish for breakfast!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- These simple potatoes go so well with many breakfast recipes. Super versatile and you can even serve them with dinner and lunch dishes as well!
- We made a big batch of these and had some leftover for the next day and they were still so good, which means these potatoes could be the perfect make ahead breakfast meal for busy mornings.
- You only need about 30 minutes to prep these potatoes. Then you can prep the rest of your breakfast while they roast in the oven.
These simple ingredients are all you need to make the most delicious crispy roasted breakfast potatoes:
- red potatoes
- bacon drippings
- diced onions
- black pepper
Substitutions and Variations
You can use either fresh rosemary or dried rosemary in these oven-roasted potatoes. Both will flavor them perfectly!
Speed things up by using tallow, ghee, or butter in this recipe instead of bacon grease. It will take a step out of the recipe! You could also easily substitute olive or vegetable oil to make this vegetarian if you wanted to.
Add red bell pepper or green bell pepper to these best breakfast potatoes. Sauté them in a pan and bake on the sheet pan with the diced potatoes.
For a slight smoky flavor, use smoked paprika in place of the regular paprika. Garlic powder and onion powder would be a tasty addition to these breakfast potatoes too!
Make these easy breakfast potatoes with red potatoes, gold potatoes, russets, or any other variety you can find.
How to Make Oven Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
You can make this easy breakfast side dish recipe in a few simple steps:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (20°C) and then spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook two slices of bacon and reserve the slices for another recipe. You could also chop them up and sprinkle them on top of the crispy potatoes.
- Dice the potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Add all of the spices and pour the bacon drippings over the potatoes.
- Stir ingredients together until each potato is evenly coated in bacon grease and the simple seasoning.
- Roast potatoes for 45 minutes, removing them half way through the bake and stirring them around.
- Once the outsides are slightly crispy and the insides are tender, they are ready to go! Serve while hot with all of your favorite breakfast dishes.
How to Store Leftover Roasted Potatoes
Once your crispy breakfast potatoes have fully cooled, transfer them to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
If you choose to freeze them, place leftover potatoes into an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
A savory ham and cheese breakfast casserole is a filling protein to serve with this great side dish. Of course, if you need a fast breakfast you can have a serving of potatoes with a breakfast muffin or peanut butter banana smoothie.
You can also simply serve these potatoes with a fried egg or scramble some up and combine the two with cheese in a breakfast burrito. So many hearty breakfast options with so much flavor!
Tips for Success
Here are some tips and tricks for making this recipe:
- For extra flavor, sprinkle shredded cheese over the warm potatoes and top with a tasty serving of salsa.
- Make sure the potatoes are spread out in a single layer on the sheet pan so that the outsides can get crispy on every side.
- Dice these potatoes into even sizes in order to ensure each potato is done cooking at the same time.
It is not necessary to soak or boil potatoes before you pop them into the oven to roast. Just dice them up, toss them in bacon grease and seasonings and bake in the oven until crispy and delicious.
If you end up with soggy or mushy roasted potatoes, you likely did not bake them at a high enough temperature. Make sure you follow the instructions precisely and you should have a successful result. Crispy outside and a soft tender inside.
More Potato Recipes
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I'd love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- 15-20 small red skin potatoes
- 2 slices uncooked bacon or 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- ¼ cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F (20°C) .
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Cook two slices of bacon on a frying pan. Place on a paper-towel lined plate. Reserve bacon for another recipe or chop and add on top of potatoes. Set the pan aside — you will need the grease.
- Quarter potatoes and place in medium mixing bowl.
- Dice onions and add to mixing bowl.
- Add spices and bacon drippings. Toss all ingredients in drippings.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes, tossing potatoes half way through.