This homemade, warm Buffalo Chicken Dip is easy, hearty and delicious. Made with a rotisserie chicken, it's a great warm appetizer for any occasion, whether it's a fall tailgate or a get-together any time of year.
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Rotisserie Chicken
The other night we were able to host some friends over to eat dinner and watch some football and it really got me thinking about The Big Game coming up soon. This buffalo chicken dip will definitely be on our menu!
There are certain foods that just remind you of football. The foods are usually easy-to-eat finger foods, so that your hands are free for a drink or for throwing your hands in the air for a touchdown!
One food that always comes to mind when I'm thinking about a football party is any kind of dip. I love having a few to choose from to go with a bowl of scoop-shaped tortilla chips, which are my favorite chips for dipping.
2023 Update: I updated this post with some new tips and tricks for making the best buffalo chicken dip EVER.
Why you'll love this recipe
Buffalo Chicken Dip is always a hit at parties! This recipe takes a few shortcuts, but no one will notice. It's SOOO good, and here's why:
- This dip is quick and easy! It comes together in less than 20 minutes.
- Adjust it based on your preferred spice level.
- Make it with rotisserie chicken so you don't have to prepare chicken, too!
I'm usually not one to run for the buffalo flavored dishes, but this buffalo chicken dip has the perfect amount of spice (and can be easily made spicier if desired) and it's super easy to make. Two wins in my book!
This recipe has only five ingredients — another win! Here's what to grab at the grocery store:
- rotisserie chicken: This is my favorite shortcut. Shred it up well to mix into this recipe.
- cream cheese: I usually use low-fat or fat-free, but you can use full-fat or Neufchatel too.
- hot sauce: For anything buffalo, you've got to use Frank's RedHot.
- dry ranch dressing mix: You can use a store-bought packet or feel free to make your own ranch mix.
- plain Greek yogurt: It can be full-fat or no-fat. Chobani and Fage are two of my favorites.
I like to present mine with some extra toppings after it comes out of the oven. I usually do sliced green onions, blue cheese crumbles and extra hot sauce. You can even top it with shredded cheddar cheese before baking it if you like things cheesy.
And don't forget the dippers! Scroll down for my ultimate list.
You can use sour cream instead of the Greek yogurt.
Try it with your favorite hot sauce, but Frank's brand is a classic.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
A lot of the battle when trying to pull together a menu for a big football party is trying to coordinate how to get it all cooked on time. The beauty of this recipe is that it comes together in under 20 minutes from start to finish.
Even though it's made in the oven, it doesn't take long which means your kitchen will stay cool even once guests are arriving! (A must for us in Arizona!)
Here's how to make this recipe:
First, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350°F.
Hot Tip: If the cream cheese is hard to mix, microwave it for a few seconds and try again, but it's best to start with softened cream cheese.
Next, add in the shredded chicken and combine well.
Pour the mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dip is bubbling and hot throughout.
If desired, top with sliced green onions or crumbles of blue cheese. Serve hot!
One thing you need to know: Since buffalo chicken dip contains cheese, it shouldn't sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours after baking. If you would like to have it on hand for longer, you can transfer the baked dip to a slow cooker set to the "keep warm" setting.
Tips & Tricks
If you're planning to get friends together for the big game, make sure this dip is on your list. Better yet, go ahead and make a practice round tonight because it's that easy and totally delicious!
For this dip, I used a rotisserie chicken which made the prep so easy because the majority of the cooking was already done for me. There's something so satisfying about shredding a rotisserie chicken by hand!
I also recommend making sure you have softened cream cheese before you start. It makes it so much easier to work with! Here's a great tutorial for softening cream cheese.
What to Dip in Buffalo Chicken Dip
This easy Buffalo Chicken Dip goes with just about everything. Try it with one of these options for dippers:
- tortilla chips: A classic! My faves are Tostitos Scoops.
- potato chips: Be sure they are somewhat thicker or they might break.
- bread: Buy a sliced baguette the day of your event for the freshest taste.
- veggies: Try celery sticks, broccoli florets, bell pepper slices, cucumber slices, cauliflower florets or carrot sticks.
Since buffalo chicken dip contains cheese, it shouldn't sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours after baking. If you would like to have it on hand for longer, you can transfer the baked dip to a slow cooker set to the "keep warm" setting.
Store buffalo chicken dip in an airtight, food-safe container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Preheat the oven to 250°F and bake the dip in an oven-safe dish for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
What to Do With Leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip
Got leftovers? No problem. Buffalo Chicken Dip can be used in so many ways.
You could always warm it up and enjoy it as a dip again later. Heat the oven to 250°F and bake for about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
If you have leftover dip after the get together, you can also put a scoop on a roll or sandwich and make a buffalo chicken sandwich with it!
Try buffalo chicken tacos. Put warm scoops on hard corn taco shells and top with green onions and blue cheese.
Or you could stir it into some pasta or even mac & cheese for a spicy twist.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ to ⅔ cup hot sauce (such as Frank's), plus more for topping
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions, sliced, for topping
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, ranch packet, hot sauce and Greek yogurt until well combined. (If the cream cheese is still too hard to mix, you can microwave it for a few seconds and try again.)
- Add in the shredded chicken and combine well.
- Transfer the mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dip is bubbly and hot throughout.
- If desired, top with sliced green onions or crumbled blue cheese and serve hot!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 414mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g