The easiest baked caprese dip can be made with just five simple ingredients. These cheesy, tomato dip comes out of the oven bubbling and ready to be spread on a toasted slice of bread! This easy appetizer is perfect for parties or just a pre-dinner snack!
When it comes to appetizers, it’s all about simplicity. Dinners can be fancy every day if you ask me, but appetizers should be fairly easy to make with minimal ingredients so that the focus can be on getting the main course ready. This baked caprese dip is one that I originally shared three years ago and even though these photos certainly got an update, the recipe is still as good as it was then.
This appetizer can be made with five simple ingredients, most of which I usually have in a stocked pantry anyway. You need canned diced tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs (homemade Italian bread crumbs or )? and unsalted butter.
We recently made this for the small group we host weekly at our house. It was the perfect appetizer to throw in the oven a half hour before people arrived and then have it piping hot for people to take scoops full of cheesy tomato goodness and spread it on crackers and toasted bread! An added benefit to this recipe? You can totally prep it ahead of time and pop it in the oven to reheat or cook for the first time right before guests arrive. Either cook it fully beforehand or just prep the dish by adding the ingredients to the baking dish and refrigerating until it’s time to cook this baked caprese dip.
Even if you’re not a huge tomato fan, the cheese alone is enough to make this appetizer a hit for any occasion. It’s perfect year round too!
This recipe doesn’t call for exact measurements, either, so it’s super easy to double, triple, whatever size you need. You can basically just create “equal” layers of each ingredient to fill the size of whatever pan you’re using. Or even make little individual servings in (which you may remember I’m recently obsessed with due to these maple pots de cr?me).
- 2 cans of no salt added diced tomatoes, well drained
- ½ cup basil, cut into strips
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into sliced or diced
- ¼ stick of unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Once melted add in bread crumbs and stir.
- In an 8x8 oven proof baking dish, layer tomatoes, chopped basil, mozzarella and bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until cheese and tomatoes are bubbling.
- Serve with ½ inch cut pieces of baguette, toasted, or with crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g