Looking for an easy comfort side dish that can be prepped ahead of time and is bursting with flavor? This Slow Cooker Bacon Jalape?o Creamed Corn is a family favorite that’s perfect for fall! Made with corn, cream cheese, roasted jalape?os and bacon, this is not your average side dish.
It’s usually hard enough for me to think of what to make as our main dish for dinner. So when it comes to a side dish to go along with it, I’m often stuck. That’s where this decadent side dish comes in.
This simple side dish only takes five ingredients and it cooks mindlessly in the . It goes with so many entrees that it’s the perfect side dish to keep in your back pocket.
I’ve been making this slow cooker creamed corn for years. I didn’t grow up in the South, but I sure do love southern cooking. So when we moved to North Carolina, this easy side dish became a regular rotation for us all year round!
I just recently had the brilliant idea, if I say so myself, to add bacon and jalape?o. Because when is bacon and a little spice NOT a good idea?
For the jalape?os, I decided to roast them before adding them to the slow cooked corn. When you roast peppers of any kind (well, except bell peppers), it brings out the flavor and spiciness of the pepper.
It is possible to also just saut? the peppers, but I highly recommend instead. When you saut? spicy peppers, they release some of their liquid into the air, which can make the room feel like it has a bit of pepper spray in it. Not the best idea 😉 (And yes, we learned that the hard way).
Both the bacon and the jalape?os should be added after the corn is finished, before serving. No one likes soggy bacon and peppers.
Want to know how to make your own? Scroll down to learn how. Pin this image for later!
- 24 ounces frozen corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 2 jalape?o peppers
- Pour corn into slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes (to thaw).
- Then pour in milk, sugar, salt and pepper and stir.
- On top of corn mixture, add cubed butter and cream cheese,?do not stir.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours until butter and cream cheese have melted.
- Before serving, cook bacon (if needed) and chop into small pieces.
- Roast whole jalape?o on a baking sheet by broiling on high for 10 minutes. Flip peppers over and cook the other side for 10 minutes also. Dice jalape?o once cooked, wash hands immediately!
- Stir corn mixture.
- Stir bacon and diced jalape?o into corn in slow cooker.
- Serve immediately.