When you need a timeless, any season kind of dessert this Nutella mousse will hit the spot every time! Made with cream cheese, Nutella and whipped cream with Oreo crumbles on the bottom, this decadent dish is simply delicious.
Nutella Mousse Recipe
Do you have a go to dessert that you make when you're having friends over or you just feel like a fancy treat? This nutella mousse is mine!
Nutella fans always rave over this mousse. In fact, one time I visited my friend in North Carolina and she specifically requested that I make it for dessert.
What makes this Nutella mousse recipe so good? Maybe it's the Oreos, or maybe it's the creamy Nutella. Maybe it's because it's no bake and super stinking easy.
Whichever reason you choose, this decadent dessert needs to make its way into your life and never leave. I love making this for a crowd because even though it's really rich, you can serve it in adorable individual glass cups which makes the perfect serving.
Special occasions deserve a delicious sweet treat and this easy dessert is perfect for that!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
You'll love this recipe, for a few reasons:
- This is a great make-ahead dessert recipe. Whip up a batch and store in the fridge for up to 4 days!
- Since this dessert is no bake, you can reserve your oven space for all of the tasty dishes you need to cook.
- It only takes 20 minutes to prep this nutella mousse recipe, then just let it sit in the fridge and chill until you're ready to serve!
You could make this recipe for any dinner party, date night or just because. It's great for special occasions, too. You could also make it for Christmas Eve dinner or Valentine's Day.
What is Mousse?
Mousse is a light and airy pudding like dessert made from at least one form of dairy. Traditional mousse is made from whipped egg whites, but there are multiple different variations on that technique.
Mousse is not pudding, but are somewhat similar. Pudding has a much heavier texture, while mousse is very light and never dense. This no bake dessert is rich and delicious!
This handful of ingredients is all you need to make smooth Nutella mousse:
- Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
- whipped cream
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- chocolate chips (optional garnish)
- crushed Oreo cookies
- melted butter
I used chocolate chunks for garnish, but you could use these topping ideas:
- chocolate sprinkles
- whipped cream
- mini chocolate chips
- cacao nibs
- chopped chocolate
- chocolate curls
Substitutions and Variations
Instead of using chopped chocolate chips as a topping, you can use chocolate shavings, chopped ferrero rocher, or some more whipped cream. Make a more elegant presentation by using powdered sugar or cocoa powder and fresh berries as a topping.
Make your own homemade whipped cream with cold heavy whipping cream instead of using store bought!
If you are allergic to hazelnuts, you can use some other options. There are now chocolate almond butter spread and chocolate sunflower butter. Both can be used as a replacement for Nutella.
How to Make Nutella Mousse
Using a microwave safe bowl or saucepan, melt the butter and then mix it with Oreo crumbs in a small bowl.
Hot Tip: If the Oreo crust mixture isn't solid enough, add more butter until well combined. If the mixture is too wet, add more cookie crumbles!
Spoon the Oreo crust into each serving cup and press it down.
Beat cream cheese and Nutella together in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Once smooth, add vanilla and then fold the whipped cream into the Nutella mixture.
Place Nutella mousse into serving dishes. You can either spoon it into each cup, or place it into a piping bag and pipe it in.
Cover the cups with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1.5-2 hours.
Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate chips or other desired toppings on top of the mousse and enjoy!
How to Store Nutella Mousse
Cover each individual serving cup tightly in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you use a cookie topping, be aware that the longer you store the mousse the more soggy the topping will become.
You can actually freeze this Nutella mousse recipe too! Store in the coldest part of the freezer, tightly wrapped, for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw in the freezer overnight before serving.
Tips for Success
- Don't over-mix! This is very important. Over mixing mousse, especially when adding the whipped cream, can end up making the mixture really runny.
- Chill your glass serving cups before putting the mousse in them. Keeping everything cold during the process will produce even better results.
- If you make homemade whipped cream to use in the mousse, make sure you whip the cream until stiff peaks form. This way, it is light and airy and will create a great texture for the mousse!
If your Nutella mousse somehow ends up too runny, add some cornstarch to water and then slowly add it to the mixture. Gently mix it in until the mousse reaches the consistency that you prefer.
Mousse works really great on cakes. Feel free to experiment and make a Nutella mousse cake. Make sure you gently spread the mousse onto the cake so that you don't smush all of the light and airy texture out of it.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Chocolate Muffins
- White Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Shortcake Cookies
- Chocolate Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
For the Crust
- 12 Oreos, crushed (or buy an Oreo pie crust and smash up)
- 2-3 tablespoons melted butter
For the Filling
- ⅔ cup nutella
- 12 ounces frozen whipped cream, thawed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup chocolate chips, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter and mix with oreo crumbs, add more butter if not solid enough, add more crumbs if crust looks too wet.
- Press into serving dish(es).
- Use a mixer to blend cream cheese and nutella together.
- Add vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream to nutella mixture until well blended.
- Spoon into dishes.
- Cover and refrigerate 1.5-2 hours before eating.
- Sprinkle chopped chocolate chips on mousse and enjoy!
Be sure to allow mousse to refrigerate before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 800Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 4gSugar: 54gProtein: 8g