Start your morning with Caramel Apple Crumble Muffins, the perfect morning treat! These apple spice muffins have a simple muffin base with fall spices like ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon added to it. Topped with the perfect crumble topping and caramel drizzle, these muffins will have you wishing for fall year round!
The secret to any good morning muffin is that it needs to have the perfect balance of being moist, having good flavor, and, of course, looking delicious since we eat with our eyes first! I've always been a big muffin fan but only recently started baking my own.
Muffins, like a lot of the food I have cooked over the past few years, were one of those things I was just afraid to make. Baking in general is definitely a science and unlike general cooking, you can't just throw things together and hope for the best - for the most part. I've found that having a solid basic muffin recipe as a start has helped me to be able to make all kinds of muffins by just tweaking ingredients a bit.
For this apple crumble recipe, I started with another recent muffin recipe of mine, Cappuccino Coffee Cake Muffins. Both muffins have a similar spice-filled batter, but of course these apple crumble muffins have all of the yummy fall spices.
Even though it's still too warm in Phoenix to even think about cozying up with a warm sweater and hot cup of coffee, making these muffins and filling my house with all the fall smells definitely made me anxious for that drop in temperatures.
So for now, I'll just enjoy eating these Caramel Apple Crumble Muffins and pretend there is fall weather outside. The caramel drizzle is totally optional but totally recommended. But if you're bringing these to a friend's house or sending them with your husband to work, you may want to opt out of the drizzle so they're fresher. Or just bring a jar of caramel with you, cause that's normal, right?
Ready to make your own? Scroll down for the recipe!
Apple Crumble Muffins
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- caramel drizzle, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients for muffins
- In another bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Gradually pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and gently whisk until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- In a small bowl, toss diced apples with tablespoon of flour to coat. Add apples to batter and gently mix into batter.
- In a medium bowl, pour in flour, brown sugar and oats. Stir ingredients together.
- Pour in melted butter and stir ingredients together. Break up larger chunks of the crumble topping.
- Pour muffin batter into lined muffin pan about ¾ way full.
- Add crumble topping on top of batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until muffin springs back when touched.