Set up an unforgettable dessert bar with all the best ice cream toppings! Your ice cream sundaes will never be the same after you try these amazing and unique ideas.
Ice cream. Gelato. Sorbet. Froyo. Whatever you choose, you can't really go wrong, can you?
But they're just not the same without toppings!
From sauces to sprinkles, we pulled together a list of creative ice cream toppings you can add to your sundaes.
Best Ice Creams for Toppings
If you're planning to add a lot of toppings, a smooth, plain ice cream — one without a lot of mix-ins — probably makes the most sense.
Smooth ice creams like chocolate ice cream, salted caramel ice cream or plain vanilla ice cream are perfect for toppings.
That is, unless you like lots of texture. You do you! We love this Crunch bar ice cream, and it's great with — you guessed it — chocolate sauce and more crumbled Crunch bars.
Ice Cream Sundae Bar
If you are planning a party, why not set up an ice cream sundae bar for dessert?
Pick up or make a few flavors of ice cream and a bunch of toppings, then let everyone go to town building their ultimate sundae or ice cream cone.
It's a great idea for a birthday party, housewarming party, cookout or any gathering really!
Here's what you will need:
- ice cream: Get two or three flavors. One should be on the traditional side (vanilla or chocolate) and the other can be more adventurous (strawberry or peanut butter).
- serving ware: For edible choices, you have waffle cones, sugar cones or cone bowls. You could also go with regular ceramic or plastic bowls and spoons. Don't forget the napkins (and lots of them!).
- syrups and sauces: Put out one or two options such as chocolate syrup, caramel sauce or strawberry syrup.
- toppings: Cookies, candies, cherries and sprinkles galore. Get lots of options.
- bananas: Necessary if you are making banana splits!
More Ice Cream Toppings
There are so many fun toppings you can add to ice cream! What else would you add?
Syrups and sauces make for gorgeous ice cream sundaes. Try one or a few of these:
- hot fudge sauce
- chocolate syrup
- caramel sauce
- strawberry sauce
- melted peanut butter
- melted Nutella
- jam or preserves
- simple syrup
- magic shell
- maple syrup
Fruit and ice cream go hand in hand. You could even add leftover fruit salad to an ice cream sundae. Here are a few faves:
- fresh cherries
- maraschino cherries
- stewed apples
Candies are arguably the best ice cream toppings you can choose!
- Snickers bars
- Reese's cups
- Twix bars
- chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips
- gummy bears
- gummy worms
- graham crackers
Baked goods are fun to add to ice cream. You can crumble them and add them to the top or layer them on the bottom. Something like peach cobbler would be a great base for ice cream.
- chocolate chip cookies
- Oreos, whole or crumbs
- cake or cupcakes
- waffle cone pieces
- pecan pie bars
And the fun doesn't stop there. Here are even more ideas for ice cream sundae toppings:
- chopped peanuts
- whipped cream
- rainbow sprinkles (also called jimmies)
- chocolate sprinkles
- liqueurs (such as Kahlua or Baileys)
- mint sprigs
What else would you add to this list? Let me know in the comments!