Tired of wimpy and flavorless vegetable side dishes? Then make this amazing grilled asparagus! A super simple recipe that will go well alongside all of your favorite main dishes.
Grilled Asparagus Recipe
There are many different methods to cooking asparagus, but grilled asparagus is one of my favorite ways to prepare it. I love that I can make it right alongside my burgers or grilled chicken too!
This simple grilled asparagus recipe is the perfect side dish for any main dish. With just salt and pepper as the seasoning, this fresh asparagus is cooked to perfection and has a hint of smoky flavor from the grill.
While grilling season may be most popular during the warmer months, recipes like grilled asparagus have me grilling year-round! It's just too tasty to stop making, and it's so easy to serve with my favorite protein.
Skip the french fries and reach for a healthy side dish recipe like grilled asparagus! It's just as tasty and much better for you.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
Who wouldn't love grilled asparagus? This simple recipe is great for so many reasons:
- All you need is basic ingredients that you may already have on hand. Just grab crunchy fresh asparagus from the grocery store or farmer's market and get to cooking!
- This is a really versatile side dish. Whether you need a side for a weeknight meal or something for a big cook-out, grilled asparagus has you covered.
- It doesn't take long to make this easy dish. Just throw it on the grill for a few minutes and it's done! Great for busy evenings or when you need something quick to go with dinner.
Make perfectly tender asparagus with just four ingredients. You could add a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to this easy side, but I think the simplicity of the recipe is what makes it shine! Here's what you'll need:
- one bunch of asparagus
- olive oil
- black pepper
How to Grill Asparagus
In just a few simple steps, you can make this easy grilled asparagus recipe. Here is what you'll need to do:
Preheat your grill to a medium-high heat before you begin preparing the asparagus. It's important to have a hot grill to evenly cook the asaparagus!
Then trim asparagus stalks by cutting off the woody ends of the asparagus. It'll be about a ½ inch of the bottom of the stalk.
Drizzle olive oil over the cut asparagus and then season with salt and black pepper. Check that you have a fully preheated grill, and then cook the veggies!
Place onto hot grill grates and cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes, rotating halfway through so that grill marks are even.
Remove from the grill and serve!
How to Store Leftover Grilled Asparagus
Place leftover asparagus into an airtight container, or wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Store in the fridge for to 2-3 days. You can also place leftovers in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. Allow to thaw before reheating.
To reheat, place in the oven or on the stove-top until warmed through. Reheating asparagus in the microwave may make it soggy and ruin the texture.
What to Serve with Grilled Asparagus
Serve this easy side alongside any of your favorite meals. Keep the whole meal on the grill and pair it with grilled chicken burgers or even grilled pork chops. And of course, grilled chicken is always a hit too.
It's a great side for a hearty skillet steak as well. But I also love to serve this tasty veggie side with easy pesto salmon or one pan chicken piccata. In fact, asparagus goes really well with seafood! So you could pair it with blackened tilapia or other fish dishes too.
Tips for Success
Check out my simple tips so that you can have the most success when making this simple healthy recipe:
- It is so important to cook on a clean grill! Having stuck on bits of leftover food can not only affect the flavor of a dish, but it's not healthy either. I have a whole blog with the best tips and tricks on how to clean a grill. I cover both charcoal grill and gas grill, so check it out!
- If you have thick asparagus spears, you may need to add a few minutes onto the cooking time. Thin spears will cook a little more quickly than thick spears, so just keep an eye on them as you grill.
- Don't have olive oil on hand? That's totally ok! Just use another high heat oil like avocado oil to make the perfect grilled asparagus.
It is not necessary to blanche asparagus before popping it onto the grill. If you prefer to do so, you absolutely can! However, fresh asparagus tossed in oil and seasonings and then place onto a hot grill will turn out perfectly tender and flavorful. No blanching necessary!
Grilled asparagus will be fork tender and should have noticeable grill marks on it when it is fully cooked. Time on the grill is dependent on the thickness of the asparagus, so keep that in mind. Thin stalks will cook more quickly than thick, and you don't want to overcook your yummy asparagus!
More Grill Recipes
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I'd love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Prepare asparagus stalks by trimming off the bottom ½ inch of stalk.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on medium heat for 4 minutes, rotating halfway through for even grill marks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 8 stalks
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 21Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g