This quick chicken broccoli casserole with orzo is the perfect solution to quickly getting a meal on the dinner table on a busy evening. It's made with simple ingredients, in one casserole dish, in just 30 minutes!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
A friend recently asked me, "Is it lame that I just want meals that I can just mix together, bake and be done with?"
I laughed and said, "My friend, it certainly is not lame." There are definitely days where I enjoy the process of bringing a meal together...even if it's a lengthy process.
But there are also so many days where I just want to throw ingredients together in one dish and be done with it, too.
That notion definitely inspired this meal...and it also inspired chicken wild rice casserole! I love easy recipes that I can put together in just a few minutes. One-pot recipes like beef and broccoli stir fry are a favorite too.
I've found that even the pickiest eaters will eat broccoli when baked into a creamy casserole. This dish is the ultimate comfort food, and I love that leftovers always reheat well!
Put this easy broccoli casserole recipe on your dinner rotation. I know you will thank me later!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- One pan dishes like these mean that there is little to no clean-up after dinner.
- You only need 35 minutes to prep and bake this classic broccoli casserole recipe.
- Broccoli casserole is a great way to make sure the whole family is getting a good serving of vegetables.
A casserole is always a great idea for a meal train dinner.
Here's what you'll need to grab from the store to make this delicious broccoli casserole:
- dry orzo
- chicken broth
- cream of celery soup
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- zest of one lemon
- broccoli florets
- canned chicken or cooked chicken
- crumbled feta
Substitutions and Variations
Swap the crumbled feta for sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey jack, cream cheese or any other shredded cheese you'd like.
You can omit the chicken and use vegetable broth in order to make this creamy chicken broccoli casserole vegetarian.
Use cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of celery.
To add more protein to your broccoli bake, use chicken bone broth or chicken stock instead of broth.
Give this dish a little crunch by adding a crunchy topping of crushed crackers to the top of the broccoli casserole. Use buttery crackers for the best flavor!
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and grease a casserole dish with olive oil or butter.
Mix all of the ingredients together in the prepared baking dish until thoroughly combined.
Place the 9x13 inch baking dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the orzo is tender.
Allow to the chicken broccoli casserole to cool slightly, then serve!
What to Serve with Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Pair this easy broccoli cheese casserole recipe with something simple like cheese garlic bread or garlic green beans with brown butter. These goat cheese rosemary drop biscuits are another delicious side dish to round out your dinner.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Place leftovers in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. You can also freeze leftovers for up to 2 months. Freeze an entire casserole by covering it securely with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
To reheat, allow chicken broccoli casserole to thaw from frozen, and place in the oven or microwave until warm.
Tips for Success
- Top this best broccoli cheese casserole with extra shredded cheese for more cheesy goodness.
- Shred a rotisserie chicken and use that in this casserole. It will add extra flavor and save you some time if you don't want to cook chicken.
- If you're using frozen broccoli instead of fresh broccoli florets, you may need to add a few extra minutes of cook time.
More Casserole Recipes
These casseroles make wonderful meal train recipes or weeknight dinners.
- Green Chile Egg Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Mushrooms
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I'd love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
- 8 ounces dry orzo
- 1 ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ¾ cup cooked chicken
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a glass casserole dish.
- Mix all ingredients in a casserole dish — or mixing bowl and transfer to greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and the orzo is cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: ⅙ casserole
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 507mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g