Looking for a gluten free, healthy sloppy joe recipe for the whole family? These Turkey Sloppy Joe Rice Bowls are made from scratch, so there is no added sugar or extra ingredients, only the ingredients that add tons of flavor to this easy weeknight dinner! Ground turkey, green and orange bell peppers, onions and spices all served over a bed of white rice makes this a perfect family friendly healthy meal.
Sloppy Joes are certainly a classic family dish. I have tons of memories of eating Sloppy Joes as a kid. They’re easy to make, delicious and what kid doesn’t like them? I’ve talked about my love for making homemade versions of different sauces and when I decided to make sloppy joes for my son for the first time, I wanted to make them homemade so I could feel good about what exactly was in them. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that making homemade sloppy joes is actually super easy.
After making sloppy joes the traditional way, on buns, I started imaging what it would be like serving sloppy joes over rice. My husband recently started eating a lot less gluten, so we don’t eat a lot of buns around here anymore so sloppy joes rice bowls? Perfect solution!
Sometimes I hit the nail on the head with the first recipe, but I’m actually glad to report that that wasn’t the case with this recipe. I really wanted to create something as flavorful as your classic can of Manwhich, but without the unnecessary added ingredients and sugar. A lot of homemade recipes call for ketchup, which is loaded with sugar. I’m definitely not anti-sugar, I just don’t like it in things where it is unnecessary, like savory food. So it took me a few tries to get the flavor right.
Instead of just adding a few tablespoons of pre-made ketchup to this recipe, it includes the ingredients that are in homemade versions of ketchup like tomato sauce, vinegar, and a bit of honey for sweetness (instead of sugar!). This recipe packs in a bunch of spices which adds a ton of flavor to this recipe.
If you’re ready to make these easy Turkey Sloppy Joe Rice Bowls for your family, scroll down for the recipe!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (I used half orange and half green, but any kind will work)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup water
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and bell pepper for 3 minutes.
- Add in ground turkey and garlic. Cook until turkey is browned.
- If necessary, drain and remove excess grease from pan.
- Return turkey to pan and add remaining ingredients. Stir. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower rice or even on a bun!