This five-ingredient salsa verde chicken is an easy weeknight slow cooker meal the whole family will love! It's made with jarred salsa verde, chicken, bell peppers, onions and rice. In this blog post, I'll show you how to set it and forget it until it's done!
Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe
When you need a quick weeknight meal, this salsa verde chicken comes to the rescue. All you have to do is dump the ingredients everything into the bottom of your slow cooker and dinner is ready without even tending to it.
It's taken me a while to get into slow cooker meals. Now that I have three kids, easy meals are essential for me to have in my back pocket for hectic weeknights or evenings when I just don't feel like cooking (which happens more than you'd think for a food blogger).
If you love slow cooker meals, you already know that they make dinner time so much more simple because you can just pour everything in and cook it the morning of.
Likewise, although nights are busy, I've found that it's even better for me to pour everything in the slow cooker the night before. Then, leave the slow cooker pan in the fridge and take it out the next morning and set it to cook all day.
Crockpot salsa verde chicken makes the most flavorful and tender chicken. You can eat this shredded chicken on flour or corn tortillas, over your favorite kind of rice, or even on corn chips with cheese as tasty chicken nachos.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
You are going to adore this Salsa Verde Chicken recipe!
- This easy salsa verde chicken recipe only has five ingredients. Nothing difficult and easy to throw into the crockpot in just minutes.
- Crock pot salsa verde chicken is a set-and-forget recipe. After adding the ingredients into the slow cooker, turn it on and leave it until it's done. You can run errands or go about your day as usual!
- This saucy chicken is great to make for meal prep. It's packed full of protein and can be used in a wide variety of different ways.
What is Salsa Verde?
Salsa verde is a Mexican green salsa, literally meaning "green sauce" usually made from tomatillos, jalapeños, onion, lime and cilantro. There are varying spice levels of salsa verde, just like red salsa.
Grab these five simple ingredients at the grocery store to make the easiest salsa verde chicken recipe ever:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- jar of salsa verde
- diced orange bell peppers
- diced green bell pepper
- diced onion
Substitutions and Variations
Mix things up with one of these variations:
Replace the chicken breasts with boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
You can use either a white onion or yellow onion to make salsa verde chicken. I do not recommend using a red onion since the flavor is really powerful.
A jar of store-bought salsa verde is all you need to make this recipe. I'm all for homemade sauces so feel free to make your own salsa verde if you have a recipe you love!
Use any combination of bell peppers that you want! With this in mind, red bell peppers and yellow bell peppers have a different flavor profile than orange and green. However, any of them would be super tasty with this dish.
Salsa verde adds plenty of flavor to the chicken on it's own, but feel free to add spices and seasonings. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder would all pair well with the flavors in this dish.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken
Here's how to make this Salsa Verde Chicken recipe:
- Clean chicken breasts and then place each one in the bottom of the slow cooker that is lined or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Top with salsa verde, bell peppers and onions. Cook on low heat for 3 hours until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165° Fahrenheit with your meat thermometer.
- Cook rice in an instant pot or according to instruction on the package to make a taco bowl, or prepare tortillas to make chicken tacos.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot and use two forks to shred it.
- Then serve the shredded chicken with desired toppings and enjoy!
- This recipe cooks chicken breasts covered in salsa verde, bell peppers and onions in a slow cooker for about 3 hours on high.
Toppings for Salsa Verde Chicken
Top your salsa verde chicken with extra salsa verde, sour cream, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese and so much more.
For a little kick, add some sliced jalapeños, hot sauce, or pico de gallo. Some canned green chilies would be tasty too!
Give a little cheesy touch to this dish by adding some shredded cheddar, Colby jack, or Monterrey jack cheese to the top of each serving.
Add more protein by serving this dish with a big scoop of black beans or pinto beans over the top. Or add a little zing with a squeeze of fresh lime juice over your salsa verde chicken.
What to Serve with Salsa Verde Chicken
This chicken is very versatile! You can eat it over rice, cauliflower rice, cilantro lime rice, in a lettuce wrap, over salad to make taco salad, or in tortillas for tacos.
How to Store Leftover Salsa Verde Chicken
Place leftover chicken into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, place in the microwave or on the stove top until heated to a safe internal temperature. Additionally, you can add extra salsa verde to leftovers to keep them moist.
This tasty chicken dish also freezes well! Store airtight containers filled with salsa verde chicken in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Hot Tip: Store in separate single servings if you are using this recipe for meal prep and then you can thaw and reheat single servings one at a time.
Tips for Success
Here are some tips and tricks for making this recipe:
- You can easily shred cooked chicken by place in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Then cover the outside of the bowl with a splash guard or dish towels and then turn the mixer on low-medium speed to shred the chicken. After that, you can then return it to the crock pot and mix it with all the veggies and salsa.
- Make sure each of the chicken breasts you are using are an even thickness. You wouldn't want one chicken breast to be done and another to be undercooked!
- Place chicken breast in a single layer on the bottom of your crock pot liner. This will ensure they cook evenly.
Absolutely. It's perfect for doubling for a potluck, bringing a meal to someone or making and freezing half for later! Meal prep is made easy with this simple meal.
There are a bunch of variations of salsa verde varieties, so you can choose one that fits your family's tolerance of spiciness. If you have kids, stick with a mild version - then the adults can add some green chiles on top to make your servings spicier! You could also add these in when cooking if you want to have a spicier salsa verde chicken.
More Mexican Weeknight Meals
- Easy Taco Soup
- Salsa Verde Pulled Pork Tacos
- Beef Tostadas
- Chicken Enchilada Sliders
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Five Minute Blender Salsa
- Chicken Enchilada Bruschetta (Instant Pot)
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I'd love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Salsa Verde Chicken (Slow Cooker)
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 8 ounces salsa verde (~half a jar)
- ½ cup of diced orange bell pepper
- ½ cup of diced green bell pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked white, long-grain rice
- shredded Mexican cheese, optional
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker, lined with a cooking liner or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Top with salsa verde, bell peppers and onions.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Cook until chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Serve shredded chicken over rice, using a ladle to pour extra sauce and vegetables over rice.
- Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
For more firm vegetables, reserve them and add to the pot in the last 30 minutes.
For a spicier dish, add in jalapeños or green chiles or use a hot version of salsa verde.
Serve over rice, chips or a big pile of sautéed veggies.
Nutrition information is for chicken only — does not include rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: ½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is for chicken only — does not include rice.