This post is sponsored by General Mills. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting A Joyfully Mad Kitchen!
Simplify your breakfast routine with these dangerously yummy No Bake Banana Peanut Butter Cereal Bars. Made with new Banana Nut Cheerios, peanut butter, honey and chocolate drizzle, these no bake cereal bars are super easy to make at the beginning of the week and enjoy on the go! If you’re looking for a way to make your mornings simpler, these breakfast bars are the solution!
Being a parent pretty much means that all meal times are going to be a little chaotic. But as my son has gotten older, even though he’s not in school yet, I’ve noticed that mornings are particularly nutty. No matter what time we need to leave the house in the morning, it just seems like we’re always rushing to get out of the door. I can only imagine the chaos that will ensue once he’s old enough to be in school and our morning routine is even crazier.
For those hectic mornings I heavily rely on breakfast that I can make ahead of time, as I’m sure other moms of little ones do, too! These no bake banana peanut butter cereal bars are perfect for grabbing on the go and simplifying our morning routine!
I’ve made no bake cereal bars before but this time around really wanted something hearty and wholesome that I could feel good about the whole family eating. In our house we try to keep the sugar intake to a minimum, except for our adult-only treats like desserts! So for this no bake cereal bar recipe, I didn’t want to use marshmallows, which a lot of cereal bars use. Instead I wanted to use more natural ingredients like honey and peanut butter to be the “glue” that holds these treats together.
The chocolate drizzle on top was a total last minute decision that I totally recommend, but it’s not necessary if you have younger children or just don’t want the extra sugar first thing in the morning!
The first time around I made these with maple syrup and they did not work very well, to be completely honest. Some other no bake cereal bars have used brown rice syrup which I think would work well, too but I didn’t specifically try that out. I highly recommend sticking to honey, since it binds super well with the peanut butter and I am kind of obsessed with honey right now anyway.
Banana Nut Cheerios are one of the newest flavors to come out from Cheerios. They’re so yummy on their own, but even better in these no bake bars. Peanut butter and banana? Obviously a perfect combination of flavors. The Cheerios by themselves reminded me of the Honey Nut flavor and reminded my husband of Apple Cinnamon, so if you like either of those flavors, you’ll like these! There is just a hint of banana, the banana flavor isn’t overpowering!
Be sure to give these bars enough time to chill so that they don’t crumble when you try to cut into them. It will also help them be less messy to eat, a must if you’re eating these on the go or with kids.
Watch this quick video showing you how to make your own No Bake Banana Peanut Butter Cereal Bars or scroll down for the recipe!
Next time you are buying a General Mills cereal at Walmart, be sure to check out the new merchandise offer! Buy 5 items, scan your receipt with the Box Tops Bonus App and earn 50 Bonus Box Tops! Help earn cash for your kid?s school!
- ⅔ cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ⅔ cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cups Banana Nut Cheerios (or your favorite Cheerios? flavor!)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, melted, optional
- Mix together honey and peanut butter in a medium bowl or liquid measuring cup. Microwave peanut butter and honey for 30 seconds if it is too firm to mix with honey.
- Measure 4 cups of Banana Nut Cheerios into a large bowl.
- Pour peanut butter honey mixture over Cheerios and stir to coat completely.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Pour Cheerios mixture into pan and smooth top of bars as much as possible.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Then remove from fridge, take bars out of dish using parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each time to keep chocolate from burning.
- Drizzle chocolate over cereal bars.
- Cut cereal bars into rectangles or squares about two inches wide.
- Enjoy right away or store in fridge to firm bars more and keep fresh!