This easy chicken pesto caprese sandwich makes lunch time a breeze! These fresh flavors on artisan bread make for a delicious lunch sandwich.
Have you ever had a meal at a restaurant that you knew would be trouble? The first time I had a sandwich similar to this chicken pesto caprese sandwich, I knew I'd be back to have it again, and again, and again.
Then one day I realized how silly it would be for me to continue going to that restaurant when the sandwich was totally easy to replicate at home.
I have an obsession with all things caprese and it's pretty much a guarantee that if anything has tomato, mozzarella and pesto, I'm in. I've made these sandwiches at home countless times. They are so easy to make and the ingredients are usually lying around anyway.
Chicken Pesto Caprese Sandwich
Not only does this sandwich combine my love for mozzarella cheese and tomato, but it also adds in two of my favorite condiments, pesto and balsamic vinegar! The two really can't be over done so feel free to pile it on these sandwiches.
The key to having a restaurant quality sandwich is starting with restaurant quality ingredients.
For the mozzarella, this means starting with fresh cheese that's stored in liquid. This is the authentic way mozzarella is used and when used correctly, it makes sandwiches, pastas, or salads to die for!
Before I studied abroad in Italy, I didn't really like tomatoes.
I grew up with my dad not liking tomatoes, so I just decided that I didn't either. When I got to Italy I realized it would be very difficult to not like tomatoes, cooked or not, because they're in so many Italian dishes.
So I decided to try again and ended up loving tomatoes. Many times for lunch in Florence I'd just have a caprese plate with fresh mozzarella and tomato and I've been known to do that these days still!
The third most important ingredient is the bread.
There are a ton of options for this bread, but you want to find something that is kind of artisan in nature (no Wonder Bread for this sandwich) and can easily be sliced and/or toasted.
This chicken pesto caprese sandwich is so easy to make and when you have the ingredients, it makes the easiest lunch recipe, without having to go out and spend money.
What are your go to lunch sandwiches?
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tomato, sliced into ¼ in slices
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 loaf artisan bread, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Cut chicken in half, horizontally to divide chicken breasts into thinner pieces
- Fry on frying pan for 3-5 minutes on each side, flipping as sides get brown to ensure they don't burn
- Set chicken aside once cooked
- In small bowl, mix olive oil with salt and pepper
- Use basting brush to spread olive oil mixture on inside of bread slices
- Place bread onto frying pan for 30 seconds or until grill marks can be seen.
- Remove bread and place onto baking sheet
- Spread pesto lightly on each piece of bread
- Layer chicken, spinach, tomato, and mozzarella onto bread
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over sandwich toppings
- Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes, until cheese begins to melt
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1757Total Fat: 62gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 3337mgCarbohydrates: 196gFiber: 13gSugar: 25gProtein: 100g