Welcome to the latest series on the blog and the fifth edition of 2018! On Around the Table, you?ll find products I?m loving lately, family updates and/or stories (aka adorable pictures of my kiddo), hospitality stories about the times we host guests in our home, what we?re eating lately, and more. I?d love to hear what YOU want to hear in this series, so please feel free to comment or reach out on Instagram!
For this edition of Around the Table I wanted to a quick update on the first month with baby Camden! I know that I won’t be doing monthly blog updates about Camden (I didn’t with Greyson either) but the first month as a family of four is definitely something I want to share about!
Obviously in the last month, a lot has happened!
Here are some of the highlights:
– The two questions I get most often when we are out and about is “How’s big brother doing?” and “Are you getting any sleep?” For the latter question, I do get some sleep! Camden is a pretty chill baby, he wakes usually 2-3 times a night and goes back to sleep right after being fed, which I’m super thankful for!
– Steven was thankfully able to take off a week from work as well as work from home for an additional week. This was SO helpful and much needed for me. After about a week, I felt great physically, but there were still a lot of signs that my body needed more time to recover after Camden’s birth. My mom ended up staying with us for almost a week after Steven went back to work. Not being able to lift Greyson in/out of bed, into his car seat, etc., was definitely one of the biggest challenges!
– Greyson has really done amazingly well becoming a big brother! I never had any huge concerns, but Greyson has done even better than I expected. He adores “baby Camden” (which is pretty much how we always refer to C) and is always wanting to be close to him. He has a pretty good understanding of Camden being so much smaller and more fragile than him, but of course we’ve had a few incidents of Camden being kicked in the head accidentally.
– I don’t know if it’s because Camden’s the second baby and they tend to be better sleepers, less high maintenance, etc. or if it’s just because he’s still so young, but Camden is seriously such a chill baby. He sleeps well, has done amazing at breastfeeding (despite a severe lip and tongue tie) and pretty much doesn’t fuss unless his diaper needs changing or he’s hungry.
– We’ve gotten back into our normal routines like preschool for Greyson, church and volunteering, our small group, and all the doctor’s appointments and so far have only been late a few times 😉 There was one morning that we were ready an HOUR early for church and basically just sat there like this is not right. We’ve learned that every day is totally different and we can’t expect for things to run smoothly every day!
– There have been a lot of things that are different this time around, so I will be sharing some second time mama postpartum must haves so stay tuned for that!
– I’m especially thankful that newborns do sleep frequently during the day because it gives me time to be one on one with Greyson. He hasn’t shown any jealousy and has actually been playing more independently than he ever has before but I know how important it is to get that one on one time that he is used to! Even if it’s reading a book snuggled on the couch or a walk down the street. I’m excited to have more of that kind of time with him as Camden gets older and can be away from me for longer stretches of time.
– This may seem like a small thing but after three weeks, I finally got back into the kitchen and started cooking again! Actually the very first day Steven went back to work, I made a batch of these muffins which may have been part of my overdoing it early on. This past weekend I made homemade bread, another batch of muffins, plus a fancy dinner. It was hilarious to me and Steven that the entire time I was “in recovery” the first few weeks, the thing I wanted to do most was bake! So I’m happy to be back in the kitchen and starting to get back to working on new recipes for y’all!
– Camden has (obviously) grown SO much in the last month. At our four week check up, he weighed 10 lbs, 9 ounces! I discovered a photo of Greyson wearing a sleeper outfit at three months that Camden is already almost outgrowing. He’s definitely a chunky little squish! For specifics on the boys, here’s an update I shared on my personal Instagram account (@madisonwetherill) of Greyson at 2 years 5 months and Camden at 1 month!
– One thing I’ve been doing this year is using the 1SE (One Second Everyday) app to capture our year. Here’s a look at our video from March!
Okay, now for a big photo dump of what the last month has looked like! Up first, a handful of our newborn photos by Christie Knight Photography. Camden was wide awake for this session, which made me sad at first but I love the way the photos turned out!
I made sure to document a few sleepy photos of him on my own though!
And a few iPhone favorites:
I’d love to hear what you?re loving and up to lately!