Need a nice change of pace from a breakfast of eggs and bacon? This banana berry smoothie is the way to go! With mixed berries, pineapple and banana, this healthy breakfast is an excellent source of Vitamin C and antioxidants.
Mixed Berry Smoothie with Banana
Smoothies are the easiest way to start the morning off on the right foot. Let's face it, there are just some mornings when standing over the stove to cook just does not sound appealing.
But breakfast is the most important meal of the day... you can't skip it! So whip out your Vitamix blender and make an easy breakfast smoothie.
Not only are smoothies a great breakfast on a busy morning, but they're a great mid-day pick me up too! You'll love this strawberry banana smoothie and you should also try a pineapple smoothie.
This healthy banana berry smoothie is a great sweet treat, without all of the sugar. So if you're craving something sweet for breakfast, try making this delicious smoothie or try any of my other smoothie recipes.
Why You'll Love this Smoothie Recipe
- This refreshing smoothie is packed with great nutrients that will fuel you well for a busy morning!
- You'll love this healthy breakfast option if you are working hard on weight loss or simply focusing more on healthy eating.
- There is no sugar in this mixed berry smoothie, so it's perfect for the whole family! The natural sweetness of all the fruit is the perfect balanced breakfast.
You only need six simple ingredients to make this easy smoothie:
- mixed berries
- almond milk
- Greek yogurt
Bonus: If you have leftover mixed berries, you can make Mixed Berry Muffins — my fave!
Substitutions and Variations
You can substitute the almond milk for any other dairy alternative you prefer. Some alternative options include coconut milk, oat milk or cashew milk. You can also use dairy milk if you'd like!
Make this mixed berry smoothie completely dairy free by replacing the Greek yogurt with coconut milk yogurt or almond milk yogurt.
Swap the spinach for kale or any other leafy greens you like!
Add a handful of chia seeds, flax seeds or hemp seeds to this banana berry smoothie to increase the nutrient content. You can also add a scoop or two of your favorite unflavored protein powder for extra protein.
Toss in a spoonful of smooth peanut butter or homemade almond butter to add a protein kick to this smoothie. Remember that this may alter the smoothie's flavor a bit.
How to Make a Mixed Berry Smoothie
When you make any smoothie recipe, be sure you're starting with a clean blender.
I have a whole blog post with the best tips and tricks on how to clean a blender so that you always get the best out of your blender!
Once your blender is clean, you can get started:
Place the clean blender pitcher on the blender base and make sure it locks in securely.
Pour 1½ cups of almond milk and a ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt into the blender first.
Then, add in your spinach, kale or any other leafy green you've chosen for this banana berry smoothie recipe.
Next, layer the frozen mixed berries, frozen pineapples and frozen banana in the blender pitcher.
Hot Tip: You don't have to buy frozen bananas from the store! Save all of your ripe bananas, or buy fresh while they're on sale, and learn how to freeze bananas so that you can use them in tons of different smoothie recipes.
Blend everything together until smooth, about five minutes.
Then, pour your delicious smoothie into glasses, add a straw, and enjoy!
Madison's Pro Smoothie Tip:
To make sure you are maxing out the capabilities of your high speed blender in order to yield a smoothie with a great and delicious consistency, always load up your blender pitcher in the following order:
- liquids first (this includes yogurt too!)
- then soft fruits or vegetables
- then greens
- then frozen fruits and ice
- any powders on top
How to Store a Banana Berry Smoothie
There are so many ways to easily store leftovers from a smoothie recipe. Depending on when you want to drink your leftover smoothie, there are a few great options on how to store it.
I have a whole post about how to store leftover smoothie, but here's a quick summary:
- Freezer: You can pour your smoothie into ice cube trays or popsicle molds and freeze it. Then let it thaw, or add it to a blender with milk and drink up! Alternatively, you can do the same by freezing your smoothie in zip-top bags and laying them flat in the freezer.
- Fridge: Store leftover smoothie in mason jars or another airtight container, and give it a good shake when you're ready to drink it.
- Freeze ingredients: If you're a fan of a fresh smoothie, you can still make things easier on yourself by freezing the ingredients for your smoothies. Measure out the ingredients for your smoothie, place them in zip-top bags or ice cube trays, and they're ready to pop in the blender as needed!
Frozen and fresh banana are both the most popular base for smoothies. They add a creamy texture to smoothies that other fruit can't achieve. However, plain Greek yogurt is also a popular base because of its protein content and delicious flavor.
Even though this recipe calls for frozen fruit, you can absolutely use fresh fruit! The texture of your smoothie might not be as thick, but throw a handful or two of ice into your high-powered blender and it should help your smoothie thicken.
Mixed berries is the name for a combination of different types of berries. This blend most often include a mix of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you make and love this recipe, please leave a ★★★★★ review below! It means so much to me when you try my recipes, and I'd love to know how it goes. Please leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Mixed Berry Smoothie
A Mixed Berry Smoothie is the perfect quick breakfast or mid-day pick-me-up. To make this tasty treat, you only need some frozen fruit, almond milk, spinach, and Greek yogurt.
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup spinach
- Add almond milk and Greek yogurt to the blender pitcher.
- Place spinach on top.
- Add the frozen mixed berries, frozen pineapple and frozen banana.
- Place the lid on the blender and blend for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour into two 16-ounce glasses and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 7gSugar: 32gProtein: 9g
Leave a Reply