This is one of my all time favorite desserts. I’ve made it so many times, I should know it by heart. I originally posted this recipe waaaay back in 2014 and I wanted to revive it since this blog has changed so much since then. Enjoy new photos and even a how-to video for these delicious All-American Sugar Cookie Bars!?
I’ve always been a huge lover of dessert. The ironic thing is that I’m not a huge fan of heavy, chocolatey desserts.
Even if you look at some of the other dessert recipes I’ve shared on the blog, they have something in common. They’re light and usually fruity. Whenever we go get frozen yogurt, I usually get vanilla with fruit and granola.
So when I first made these sugar cookie bars topped with fresh fruit, I knew I had found my perfect dessert.
Another favorite patriotic dessert we love are these Patriotic Star Cupcakes.
These sugar cookie bars are light and fresh with the fruit on top. They may even be light enough to indulge in two 😉
Best part about this recipe? It only takes 20 minutes to bake which means they’re perfect to whip together for an event.
I love using fresh fruit and not even needing any added sugar on the fruit because of the icing on the cookies.
When I make these for guests, I sprinkle some chocolate chips on half of them, in case they’re not big into fruity desserts.
The toppings are really pretty customizable. But it’s so refreshing to get a big bite of berries on every sugar cookie bar.
With July 4th coming up, this recipe is a must for your barbecues or parties. You can pull off this recipe in under an hour, homemade icing included.
Need other July 4th recipe ideas? My friend Erin at The Speckled Palate has a whole post of Red White and Blue Appetizers she put together that I think is just fantastic!?
Planning to hang out with someone on July 4th? Share this recipe with them and convince them they need to make it! You’ll be happy you did.
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla, divided
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 9x9 pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Beat ½ cup butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Add egg, egg white, sour
- Cream and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat until blended.
- Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat ¼ cup butter, powdered sugar, whipping cream and remaining teaspoon vanilla with mixer until blended and smooth.
- Spread over baked uncut sugar cookie bars. Decorate top as desired with fresh berries.
- Cut into bars to serve. Makes 9 servings.
If you won't be serving/eating these berries in the same day, do not top all of the cookie bars with berries. Top only the ones you are serving immediately.
If desired, you can use this same recipe in a 9x13 pan for less thick bars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g