If you love Mexican food but want that restaurant quality food at home, this Traditional Mexican Rice is for you! This recipe is easy to make and bakes in the oven, which locks in the flavor and moisture that makes this recipe so delicious. You’ll never go back to eating Mexican rice any other way!
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 medium white onion, peeled, quartered (root end cut off)
- 2 jalape?os, seeded and ribs removed
- 1 jalape?o, diced with seeds
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350?.
- In a food processor, puree?tomatoes, onion, and two jalape?os (ribs and seeds removed) until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a liquid measuring cup, measure 2 cups and discard any extra.
- Dice the remaining jalape?o, including the ribs and seeds and set aside.
- Place the rice in a large fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear, about 90 seconds. Shake the rice vigorously in the strainer to remove all excess water.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof saut? pan or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium high heat. Drop a few grains of rice into the oil, if the rice sizzles, the oil is ready. Add the rice and fry, stirring frequently, until the rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 90 seconds. Stir in the pureed tomato mixture, remaining jalape?o, chicken broth, tomato paste, and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pan and transfer to oven. Bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately.
Rice can also be frozen up to 6 months! Just allow to thaw and then reheat.
To make this vegetarian, simply substitute vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth.