In search of the ultimate comforting breakfast??Look no farther than Mashed Potato Chorizo Breakfast Tacos! These tacos, made with store-bought chorizo and homemade mashed potatoes, are the stuff dreams are made of. They cook up quickly to create a flavorful meal! Easy to make ahead of time and freeze, these breakfast tacos are an ideal dish to bring a new mama, friends who moved, etc. Mashed Potato Chorizo Breakfast Tacos are an amazing meal!?
- 2?small russet potatoes (2???cups), diced
- 2?tablespoons milk
- ??teaspoon salt
- ? teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb. pork chorizo, cooked down
- ? cup chicken stock (to make sauce in chorizo)
- 7?tortilla shells, warmed
- ? cup?cheddar cheese
- Scrub potatoes clean and peel, if desired.?Dice?into ?? cubes to make for quicker cooking.
- Place all diced potatoes in saucepan. Cover with water. Add a pinch of salt.
- Heat over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork tender. (This is when you can touch the potato with a fork, and the fork slides right in.)
- Remove from the heat and drain in a colander.
- Place the diced potatoes back into the saucepan.
- Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash with a fork or potato masher, stirring until the desired consistency.
- While the potatoes cook, add the chorizo to a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat.
- Break the meat apart using a wooden spoon, and cook.
- Cook until the meat is browned and cooked through.
- Pour in the chicken stock to deglaze the pan and pick up those browned bits that are starting to stick to the bottom. Cook until the chicken stock has cooked out,?then?remove from the heat.
- Using a ??cup measuring?cup, measure out ? cup of mashed potatoes and ? cup chorizo onto the warmed tortilla shells.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately OR wrap in foil to freeze for later.?Freezing instructions below.
You can easily double or triple this recipe to make a large batch for a friend or yourself!
To make these freezer-friendly,?pull out 7 (or however many tortillas you have!)?pieces of aluminum foil that are about 9? x 9?.?Place a tortilla down, then measure out the potatoes and chorizo and top with cheese. Carefully roll the tortilla up,?then?fold the foil around it, like a burrito. Make sure the ends are sealed, and mark with a permanent marker what it is.
To reheat: Remove the foil. Warm taco(s) in microwave for 30 seconds ? 1 minute, or until no longer frozen solid. Toast in a toaster oven (or the regular oven) until the outside of the tortilla crisps up, then enjoy!