Ginger Molasses Snickerdoodles are the perfect holiday sweet! These ginger molasses cookies will remind you of the taste of gingerbread cookies, with the soft chewy texture that snickerdoodles are known for. These cookies are so simple to make and share with friends at your next holiday party!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the vanilla, molasses and applesauce until smooth. Set aside.
- Stir together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft.
- Cover the dough and chill for one hour. Chilling is mandatory.
- Take dough of out fridge. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Roll about 1.5 tablespoons of dough into a ball, then coat in cinnamon sugar. Be generous! Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Spread out on cookie sheet. Lightly press down to flatten ball as the cookies will spread slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked but will continue cooking enough as they cool. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for at least 10 minutes. The longer they cool the softer and chewier they will be!