This Chicken Mushroom Enchilada Casserole is a hearty entree packed with flavor from shredded chicken, mushroom, onions, sour cream, and cream of mushroom. Perfectly for sharing with friends or a weeknight dinner!
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (see notes)
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 onion, diced
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (cream of celery or cream of chicken can also be used)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can green chiles
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 15 corn tortillas
- Cooking Spray
- Cook chicken on low in a slow cooker?overnight?before you need it. Once cooked, shred if needed, allow to come to room temperature then store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the casserole.
- Saut? the onions and diced mushrooms in a medium frying pan.
- Mix together chicken, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper and spices. Mix in onions, mushrooms, green chile, and 1 cup cheese.
- In a greased 9×13 glass baking dish, spread a thin layer of chicken mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Next you will layer the casserole. First spray both sides of corn tortillas with cooking spray, then place three full tortillas plus three tortilla halves on the chicken mixture. Then add layer of chicken mixture and then a layer of cheese. Repeat layers until you have 5 and a half tortilla remaining. The last layer will be just tortillas and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted on top.
I cook the chicken the night before in a slow cooker, using about one pound of chicken or three breasts. Place in slow cooker with just enough water to cover the breast, cook on slow overnight. Remove from slow cooker and allow to cool enough to place in fridge until you’re ready to make the casserole.