These cappuccino coffee cake muffins are the perfect way to start your morning! A twist on a classic coffee cake recipe, these muffins have a crumble toppings and cappuccino icing drizzled on top. These make the perfect quick breakfast or a baked good to bring to a friend or neighbor.
Cappuccino Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp?baking powder
- 1 tsp?instant espresso coffee
- 1?tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together?dry ingredients for muffins
- In a large glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Gradually pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and gently whisk until incorporated.
For the crumble topping:
- In a medium bowl, pour in flour, brown sugar and oats. Stir ingredients together.
- Pour in melted butter and stir ingredients together. Break up larger chunks of the crumble topping.
For the icing:
- Using a hand mixer, whisk softened butter.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and cream together.
- Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and the espresso coffee.
- Add?remaining powdered sugar and heavy cream.
- Taste icing. If bitter from coffee, add a bit more powdered sugar (1/4 cup at at time).
- Icing should be thin to be able to pour over muffins as a glaze.
- Pour muffin batter into lined muffin pan about 1/2 way full.
- Sprinkle crumble topping on top of batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until muffin springs back when touched.
- While the muffins are cooling, use a spoon to drizzle cappuccino icing over the muffins.
You can replace the espresso with cinnamon in the muffin mix and simply omit in the icing recipe for a caffeine-free version of this muffin recipe.