Looking for an easy side dish you can whip up in 15 minutes? This butternut squash filled winter rice pilaf is the perfect side dish to get on the table in just minutes and enjoy a hearty, winter flavor-filled dish!
Thank you to Veetee Foods for sponsoring today's post! All opinions are my own.?
I have a thing for butternut squash.
It's one of those vegetables I never had really tried until a couple of years ago, because I thought eating squash was kind of weird, to be honest. I can't recall the first time I tried it, but I remember how surprised I was by the flavor and I've loved it ever since.
Luckily, my kiddo does too, which makes it an easy addition to many of our winter dishes.
I love the complexity that it adds to a dish. There is just a hint of sweetness that the butternut squash adds with every bite that I love being a part of winter meals.
Now that I've made this winter rice pilaf side dish, it's going to be a frequent dinner option for us! It's perfect with some baked chicken or even a slow cooked pork tenderloin. I find it goes best with any simple meal that you already have planned. There's no need to overcomplicate a side dish! The best side dishes are the ones that are simple, colorful from veggies or fruits and flavorful!
This winter rice pilaf is the perfect side dish that can be pulled together in less than 15 minutes. It uses our new favorite rice from Veetee Foods. Their microwavable rice packs can be heated up in 2 minutes! We love keeping them around to use for dinner when we are rushed for dinner or forget to plan an extra side dish. This winter rice pilaf uses the basmati rice and rice pilaf mixed together with?a few quick added ingredients. No need to cook the rice over the stovetop for 20+ minutes. You have fluffy, moist rice in just two minutes in the microwave or two minutes being stir-fryed.
In the past when I've made various recipes with butternut squash I've used frozen butternut squash or pre-cut fresh packs of it. But this time I decided to get a whole squash and cut it up to use. Either way works though, so do whatever is most convenient for you!
If you are going to use a whole squash, you'll want to follow these instructions to cut it. Otherwise, get the full instructions for making your own winter rice pilaf below!
- 1 pack of Veetee basmati rice
- 1 pack of Veetee rice pilaf
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup of cranberries or raisins
- ½ cup of almond slivers
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup green onions, cut into ½ inch pieces
- Peel and cube butternut squash.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute squash on the low, cover pan.
- Keep an eye on the squash and toss it around as needed.
- After about 3-4 minutes, add diced red onion to the pan.
- Then add both packages of rice (uncooked).
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up larger pieces of rice.
- Allow onions to cook until translucent and the rice should also be broken up and heated through (about two minutes).
- Remove from heat and add cranberries, almonds, and chopped green onions to the dish, toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or reheat when ready.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: ½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 235mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g
For the perfect winter side dish, you definitely have to try this butternut squash winter rice pilaf!