Blueberry season is just around the corner, and what better way to start the day than with a delightful Blueberry Orange Muffin? Slightly sweet and delicious, these muffins sing of the summertime.
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (depending on consistency of the batter!)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups, then spritz with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients — 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt — and whisk until incorporated. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix the applesauce, melted butter, sugar and orange zest. Stir until combined, then add the orange juice and egg to the mixture, whisking those in.
- Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Toss the blueberries into the batter, stirring until just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared baking cups. Sprinkle the raw sugar over the tops of the muffins, then transfer to the preheated oven.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops have browned slightly and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow 30 minutes to cool, then enjoy with a favorite breakfast beverage!
Be careful not to overstir the blueberries.